Monday, November 15, 2010

Ride On Wrap Up

I really didn't expect my motorcycle trip to end up the way it did. Having the transmission blow out with approximately 900 miles to go wasn't really part of my plan. I was really fortunate that Progressive Insurance's road side assistance covered the tow from Morrison to Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I've had lot's of people ask me if I thought my trip was a failure because it ended up having the bike carted home in the back of a Budget box truck. I answer that question with a resounding no. My only regret is that I didn't get an opportunity to ride through the Ozark mountains on back roads on my way home. The view was still gorgeous from the cab of the truck but it would have been nice to get the full sensory experience of riding Wheezy through them.

Ultimately I thought it was a huge success. I achieved the solitude I was looking for. I had lots of time to think. Overall, the weather was fantastic but even when it was bad I was right out in it and didn't let it deter me. I got to ride 2000 miles of the United States that I'd never seen before and really get a flavor for the states I rode through because I was on back roads. I had to overcome some obstacles on the road with no assistance. I got to visit dear friends and family. It was awesome to be able to go half way across the country and visit them at their homes. The trip was the experience of a lifetime and I was fortunate to be able to do it. I also need to say for the record that my Uncle Dick is the greatest tour guide known to man. We squeezed all of the quality time that we could out of my time in Colorado and I wish I could have spent more time there. It is beautiful country and I was fortunate to have such a fantastic insider to be able to show me around. He and Jan showed me hospitality second to none. Also a big shout out needs to go to Stephen and Nat for putting me up for longer than expected and dragging me around while my bike was in the shop. I don't know what I'd have done if my breakdown hadn't occurred so close to good friends.

I'd say that the worst outcome of the trip was that it did absolutely nothing to quell my wanderlust and may have just made it worse. Within a week of coming back I was already trying to figure out when and where I'd like to go next; although, it doesn't look like that is going to occur any time soon. Wheezy is parked in the garage attached to the Battery Tender and waiting for a decision to be made as to his fate.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my musings while I was on the road. A little part of me felt like I got to bring you all with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment